Subject: Re: The meaning of library base ptrs
From: [email-masked] (Doug Walker)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 1994 15:49:50 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.programmer

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Ralph Babel) writes:
|> have to be reopened for _every_ opener/client/task of the
|> higher-level library, this requires that either
|> 
|> (a) all calls to lower-level libraries be deferred to a
|>     global library task to ensure that the library base
|>     obtained once during library initialization is used only
|>     from the task that originally opened the library. This

You're assuming that the restriction must be ENFORCED by every
library.  This isn't so.  If a library has need of per-opener
data, like other library bases, then it needs to store that
data somehow (the easiest way that I know of being libinitr.o).
If a library doesn't need it, it doesn't need to do anything
different or unusual.  Openers who depend on that are asking
for trouble, but that's their problem.

It does add some overhead to the system if the libraries are
opened by many tasks.  I think it would be a good idea for
Commodore to promise that graphics.library, intuition.library
and others remain shareable.  If they did that, much of the
problem would go away.

-- 
  *****                    / [email-masked]
 *|_o_o|\\     Doug Walker<  BIX, Portal: djwalker
 *|. o.| ||                \ CompuServe: 71165,2274
  | o  |//     
  ====== 
Any opinions expressed are mine, not those of SAS Institute, Inc.